Friday, January 20, 2006

My First Digital Painting (1-hour practice piece)

In the past 12 months I've been trying to teach myself more and more computer-specific skills, some out of necessity, some out of pure interest. I've learned how to color artwork in the traditional comic book way (which involves flatting/color separating and rendering, etc.), and some basic web design. Now I'm going to try and learn how to paint digitally -- we'll see how it goes amidst trying to get other things done (I know I'm not the only one who wishes the days were WAY longer -- ah, to be able to get MUCH more done every day ... sigh...). Anyhow, I will often do a "warm-up" drawing of something before I start working on anything else, just to get my creative blood flowing and it often works as a boost too (depending, of course, on how the piece turns out!). So, yesterday I drew this 9 x 12 drawing (approximately 15 or 20 minutes):


Then, after reading up on a few tutorials online (which were basically building on what I've learned about digital coloring from my work on Rex Mundi this past year) I decided later in the day to practice digital painting for the first time using yesterday's drawing. I mostly tried to treat it as a very loose, very NON-precious practice piece, not zooming in at all until the very last pass or two.
So, while I know it's not some major achievement, I am pretty psyched to do some more experimenting with digital painting. Here's the piece again after "painting" it for about 30 or 40 minutes:

4 comments:

Jim Di Bartolo said...

After all this time I thought Alexandra only had 2 personalities -- turns out there seem to be 4 (if you count the "Alexandra" one). Hmm. Poor poor thing. There IS a benefit to it all though as each one of her personalities buys me a Christmas gift each year -- SCORE! So long as that's the case she can keep those personalities coming! :)

Jim

Claudia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Claudia said...

You and Laini are an amazing couple! And Alexandra cracks me up! I love all your illustrations and both websites and will definately be back!

Unknown said...

How to buy digital paintings online, limited edition prints for sale ? In my fine art web gallery you may find and buy artworks online : contemporary art and digital paintings, signed limited edition art prints for your home and office, posters, original postcards
: welcome to Jerome Poitevin Digital Painting

http://digital.painting.free.fr/webgallery/